Gatherings

We are re-evaluating this writer's group and whether or not it meets the need of women writers. Until then, all gatherings are on hold. Stay tuned for updates! Thank you for your patience. Your feedback would be helpful in making this decision.

Grace & peace,

~ deAnn Roe
director of creative arts
717-755-0089 x126

Monday, November 19, 2007

Fire at Bethlehem United Methodist



This evening around 8:30 PM fire trucks from several departments arrived on the scene at the location of our writing gatherings, Bethlehem United Methodist Church in Dallastown. My heart sank when I saw smoke coming from the the front near the bell tower (see photo). I threw on a baseball cap, jacket and shoes (among others items of clothing) and headed out to see what I could see.
I asked a fire police if the fire was contained but he said they couldn't find it - but there was lots of smoke. Well, it's 9:50 PM and I can still hear the rumble of ladder trucks out side my bedroom window (see other photo). My heart is sad as that building is a work of beautiful art. I pray that the damage is minimal. I didn't see them carry hoses in to extinguish the fire. Maybe only handheld extinguishers were enough, that is if they found the source. The clock in the bell tower is dark. No light on it's face. I've never seen that in the 6 years I've lived here. It makes me feel lonely. I hope it's reassuring bells sound at ten o'clock. If not, the night will be eerily silent without its hourly dings.
Please keep Pastor Roger, his staff and congregation in your prayers as they sort out what happened and deal with repairs and such. I will keep you posted as more info comes my way.
Thank you for your prayers...this makes me so sad.
~deAnn

1 comment:

Jane said...

I too am sad :( Thanks for letting us know so we can pray also, let us know if there is anything that the church will need help with. Thanks dee...you are right, its not just a building, it is truly a work of art