Gatherings

We are re-evaluating this writer's group and whether or not it meets the need of women writers. Until then, all gatherings are on hold. Stay tuned for updates! Thank you for your patience. Your feedback would be helpful in making this decision.

Grace & peace,

~ deAnn Roe
director of creative arts
717-755-0089 x126

Saturday, January 10, 2009

Longings


This blessing was written by John O'Donahue,
from his book entitled "To Bless the Space Between Us"

For Longing

"Blessed be the longing that brought you here
And quickens your soul with wonder.

May you have the courage to listen to the voice of desire
That disturbs you when you have settled for something safe.

May you have the wisdom to enter generously into your own unease
To discover the new direction your longing wants you to take.

May the forms of your belonging ~ in love, creativity, and friendship ~
Be equal to the grandeur and the call of your soul.

May the one you long for long for you.

May your dreams gradually reveal the destination of your desire.

May a secret Providence guide your thought and nurture your feeling.

May your mind inhabit your life with the sureness
with which your body inhabits the world.

May your heart never be haunted by ghost-structures of old damage.

May you come to accept your longing as divine urgency.

May you know the urgency with which God longs for you."


I love this blessing. I really do. The first time I read it, I think I was speechless, and not just the audible external type of speechlessness, I mean I was speechless inside too. My mind is constantly racing at 1,000 + thoughts a minute, sometimes a second, (it feels like that anyway) and for the first time in a long time, that stopped. I just had to sit with this, with these words. Quite honestly, I am feeling completely inept right now even as I am sitting here with tears streaming down my face trying to describe to you how this passage has spoken to my soul.

Does this blessing speak to you?

Is there a longing that is deep within your soul?

Is there a dream that is in your heart that is gradually revealing itself to your true destination?

Are you feeling the urgency with which God longs for you and that ache in your heart to be revealed?

Take some time to sit with these thoughts. This Tuesday, January 13th, Reflective Souls will be having our first gathering of 2009, I invite you to come.

Peace & Blessings to you...
Carol





3 comments:

Jane said...

Wow...Carol...unspeakable defines my reaction too..am I afraid to speak of my longings???
Thanks
Love ya
Jane

Carol said...

Aww Jane,
Even if you are afraid to speak of those longings, I see them in you and when I see you creating out of those longings, that too leaves me speechless....
Love you too,
Carol

deAnn Roe said...

Carol, thank you for posting John's words addressing the human sensation about longing. It's something, I think, we ignore or put aside as "unimportant. But our longings fuel the life that stirs within us...that how it is for me anyhow. Awesome post. Thanks! deAnn