Gatherings

We are re-evaluating this writer's group and whether or not it meets the need of women writers. Until then, all gatherings are on hold. Stay tuned for updates! Thank you for your patience. Your feedback would be helpful in making this decision.

Grace & peace,

~ deAnn Roe
director of creative arts
717-755-0089 x126

Saturday, June 9, 2007

A Writing Prompt

While preparing for our trip to Northern California, I thought it would be fun to look through the pictures I took when me and my boys were out there visiting my family in 2005.

I ran across this picture of my son, Tyler, who was 13 at the time. This was his first look at the Pacific Ocean. As you can see the day was foggy and cool, as it usually is along the coast in the morning. Around 11:00 AM the sun is high enough to crest the bluffs and burn off the damp mist to reveal the brilliant blue sky.
I love this picture. Not just because it's my son! :0) But because it represents a mood or feeling, someplace each of us has been at one point in our lives. I wonder "What's going through his mind?" "What's he hoping to see out there?" "Is he overwhelmed with God's creation?" "Is he tired of sitting in the back seat of a rental car and is happy to stretch out his legs?" The mind of a thirteen year old.
Now, put yourself in this picture. Have you been there? Melancholy? Deep thought? Missing someone you love? In awe and wonder? What does the water feel like? How about the damp air filling your lungs with every breath?
As a free writing exercise, take 20 minutes or so to write about this picture. Not "about" this picture...but how it makes you feel. What memories does it inspire? Allow your creative side to run free. Don't stop the pen from writing. Don't redirect it's course. Allow it to take you on a journey - one where you don't know the destination. Have fun! Enjoy the creative process. ~deAnn

No comments: