Gatherings

We are re-evaluating this writer's group and whether or not it meets the need of women writers. Until then, all gatherings are on hold. Stay tuned for updates! Thank you for your patience. Your feedback would be helpful in making this decision.

Grace & peace,

~ deAnn Roe
director of creative arts
717-755-0089 x126

Sunday, March 15, 2009

Time Bandits....








Thank you to the ladies that came this past Tuesday! Here is a brief recap of the evening...
The "free write prompt" was "a bat circling the sky". I wanted to share this with you. It was written by Rosa:
A Bat Circling the Sky
Out of the box I fly
To circle in the sky
I can see so much
Of spiders, bugs, and such
Mine is a merry life
Carefree, empty of strife
I’m nature’s Orkin man
Eating as many bugs as I can
I, also, eat small frogs
Scoop them up off logs
I am free to fly away
Yet, I will sleep all day

We then took some time to reflect on the following quotes that I found on time:

“Creativity represents a miraculous coming together of the uninhibited energy of the child with its apparent opposite and enemy, the sense of order imposed on the disciplined adult intelligence. “ Norman Podherotz


“Don't say you don't have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michaelangelo, Mother Teresa, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein.”
H. Jackson Brown, Jr. quotes (American best selling writer, author of Life's Little Instruction Book)

“Men talk of killing time, while time quietly kills them.” ~Dion Boucicault

“Time is making fools of us again.” ~J.K. Rowling

“The time you think you're missing, misses you too.” ~Ymber Delecto

“Time is what we want most, but... what we use worst.” ~William Penn

“You will never find time for anything. If you want time, you must make it.” Charles Bixton


Do any of these quotes speak to you? I know that they do to me. Personally, I stink at managing my time. I have no idea where it goes. I always start my days with the best of intentions. I have some time actually blocked out for writing or art, and on my way to my space, I see some dishes in the sink, a quick load of laundry to be done, an email or 2 to answer, some dust to be swiffered, and the list goes on and on until it's time for me to go pick up my daughter or start dinner or for my husband to get home...

I have no idea why I allow all of these other things to intrude on my "creative me time". Seriously, none of my above said time bandits are emergencies that have to be dealt with before anything else, I have plenty of dishes, and certainly plenty of clothes, no one is going to die if I don't immediately respond to an email, and well, if I were really that much of a clean freak, I wouldn't be seeing any dust to swiffer now would I?

Take some time, reflect on the above quotes and then think about what your "time bandits" are. Try to be more aware of them and see if it changes your day at all. Will you have a few extra minutes for yourself and your writing? Or your art? Or a few extra minutes to spend quietly with God?

1 comment:

deAnn Roe said...

Great quotes, Carol. Yeah, I stink at time management too. That really bugs me. Aargh! :0)