Gatherings

We are re-evaluating this writer's group and whether or not it meets the need of women writers. Until then, all gatherings are on hold. Stay tuned for updates! Thank you for your patience. Your feedback would be helpful in making this decision.

Grace & peace,

~ deAnn Roe
director of creative arts
717-755-0089 x126

Friday, July 6, 2007

Read vs. Write

It's a struggle for me. I go into Borders for one thing - a new journal. I had a 20% off coupon for one item marked regular price. (Love the Border's Reward Card). I purposefully walk directly to the journal section, making sure my head does not bob left or right to see what else I could buy. I made it safely to the correct shelf without any "side trips". Trying something different I purchased a blue and green fabric journal, one with no lines on the pages so that when a creative image comes to mind - I can sketch it out. I do good - carry my journal, Borders Rewards Card, coupon and my check book towards the front of the store. Then it happens. It always happens!!! Quick, like someone has commandeered my body and I no longer had control, I saw the "reference" section becoming closer and closer until I was standing right in front of the darn shelf gazing up at the multitude of beautifully bounded paper.

Books on writing and the creative process. I added SIX more to my collection. Why does this happen to me? I reasoned with my self that these are books that have been on my book list for some time so while I'm here in the store already why not just pick them up! Buy them now, save gas. I am ridiculous.

How many books can one person read on the topic of writing anyhow. Don't they all says the same thing? Doesn't it just all boil down to just doing it - pick up the pen and allow it to meet with the paper. Funny how that is so hard to do sometimes. It's so much easier to write a check for books ON writing rather than getting to the hard work OF writing.

So, I have some great books in my writing library that demand my attention. Do I read them or sit down and actually write? I know what the answer is. I just don't know what I'm afraid of. I must read but I also must write. I can fill my head with the amazing content of every person's cool book on "the art of writing" but if I never make the time to practice writing, what good is all the reading?

Hum...

Now to fess up. I came upstairs about 30 minutes ago to read some of these new books. Then felt God say "Woman! Take courage and just write." That's when I put down the book, powered up my laptop and decided to write about how pathetic I am about not writing. I'm nuts, I know.
~deAnn

2 comments:

Lauren said...

Man I love borders.
: )

Carol said...

I just was in yesterday. I went in for a journal also. Came out with everything but......I think they must have subliminal messages playing in there! ;}